The Seawind 6 turbine is an upwind two-bladed, variable speed wind turbine with a teetering hinge. Power production of the Seawind 6 is controlled by turning the turbine head into or out of the wind (yawing), rather than turning the blades around their axis (pitching). Seawind turbines eliminate pitch control – the major failure source of three-bladed wind turbines.
Seawind eliminates failure-prone components, utilises long-lasting components and integrates modular components that can be replaced quickly and easily to improve uptime. The Seawind solution will deliver an LCOE below €0.05 per kWh. Besides important cost reductions the design follows novel principles:
● Reduction of single-points-of-failure
● Designed for maintenance with removable parts
● Safe access by boat and helicopter
● Passive emergency stop system
● Hurricane horizontal parking