Seawind is dedicated to decarbonisation by redefining the global renewable energy industry.
Based on original research and development work by NASA and Hamilton Standard (today UTC), our Seawind 6 and Seawind 12 floating wind turbines and integrated foundations have been patented, proven and achieved first-phase certification. Compared to the current market, our solutions are exceptional.
- Twin-bladed rotors with teetering hinge and yaw control inspired by helicopter technology
- No blade pitching, only yawing to deal with wind direction and speed
- Design achieves lower torque and lighter drivetrain for higher rotation speeds, achieves low fatigue and longer life due to the teetering hinge
- Only one mechanism to deal with wind direction and speed
Lowest green energy cost
- 25-35% LCOE cost advantage* compared to state of the art 3-blade technologies
- Optimised costs for manufacturing, operation and maintenance
- Seawind technology is highly competitive against fossil fuel and renewable energy technologies
- Reduced cost as the turbine and the support structure are designed as one system
* Floating Wind: The Power to Commercialize 2020, DNV GL; The next steps for floating offshore wind 2020, Arne Eik (Equinor).
- Macro components delivered and assembled by blue-chip supply chain partners
- Towed out to sea for installation, without requiring cranes or heavy vessels
- 25% lighter nacelle weight* compared to 3-blade technologies
- Less parts due to no blade pitching and lightweight turbine head
* Eize De Vries Paper 2020, Windpower Montly Magazine.
Unlocking green hydrogen
- Supports energy transition global agenda
- Stable and cost-effective electricity source for green hydrogen production
- Lower intermittent power supply
- Safe access by helicopter through helideck
- Additional safe access by sea
- Spacious nacelle for all O&M operations
- Less materials, reduced carbon footprint
- No rare-earth metals
- No harmful pile driving at sea
Solutions for every need
Offshore wind solutions that meet the needs of large and small installations to support global decarbonisation
Large wind farms
Our 12MW turbine solution is a cost effective alternative for the development of large wind farms. Its unique design, assembly and method of installation will give a target LCOE of €40/MWh by 2030 (IRENA method).
Small wind farms
The 6.2MW turbine solution is perfect for small islands and coastal communities wishing to generate their own supply of low carbon renewable energy. Our solution can tolerate wind speeds upto 325km/h, making it the ideal solution for cyclonic regions.
Energy transition – including green hydrogen
Seawind is dedicated to helping major power consumers decarbonise. We’re working on the production of green hydrogen and alternative solutions that will help you to offset, or replace, your carbon footprint.
Wind market challenges
Unlocking wind power at sea
Offshore wind is set to become the energy source of the future, reducing the need for fossil-based fuels globally. The offshore wind energy market is projected to be $1tr by 2030, and grow at >30% CAGR.*
Research estimates the technical potential for floating wind power is over 7,000 MW for Europe, the US and Japan combined, by 2030. This equates to a minimum market value of $20bn. The drive for cost efficiency has the potential to further increase this market value estimate and instigate rapid growth post 2030.
Unlocking these vast new floating wind opportunities, unavailable to fixed-base solutions, is currently plagued by high costs, the need for subsidies and environmental concerns.
Seawind has the answer.
* Future of Wind Report 2019, International Renewable Energy Agency.
Offshore Coalition for Energy and Nature (OCEaN) Member
Seawind are members of the Offshore Coalition for Energy and Nature (OCEaN) who bring together NGOs, wind industry and transmission system operators who have joined forces to cooperate on the sustainable deployment of offshore wind, whilst ensuring alignment with nature protection and healthy marine ecosystems. OCEaN provides an open forum for discussion, where existing information and experiences are assessed and collected, needs for further research is identified, and suggestions are made on how to improve the planning of offshore wind development for the European seas.
Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label
Seawind’s Offshore Floating Wind Turbine system has been awarded the “Solar Impulse Efficient Solution” Label by the Solar Impulse Foundation. This label is awarded for clean and profitable solutions that have a positive effect on the environment and quality of life.
Wind Europe Member
Seawind are proud to be a member of WindEurope, the voice of the wind industry; promoting wind power in Europe and worldwide. WindEurope actively coordinates international policy, communications, research, and analysis. They analyse, formulate and establish policy positions for the wind industry on key strategic sector issues, cooperating with industry and research institutions on market development and technology research projects.
European Clean Hydrogen Alliance Member
Seawind are members of the European Clean Hydrogen Alliance, our membership is aligned with our objectives to support the achievement of carbon neutrality across Europe by 2050. Our innovative technology is both relevant and appropriate to contribute to this EU strategic initiative. We will work together with other stakeholders in the renewable sector and in low-carbon hydrogen production to meet the demand in industry, mobility, and in other sectors for hydrogen transmission and distribution. In doing this we will help to realise the objectives of the European Clean Hydrogen Alliance for the ambitious deployment of hydrogen technologies by 2030.